Under the authority of the Project Manager — HVdc Specialties, the Area Manager —Converters & Transition Compound i ll interface directly with, assign deliverable requirements to, and provide direction to disciplines and functions within the Project Delivery Team, to ensure overall delivery of the two HVdc Converter Stations and two cable transition compounds or the Lower Churchill Project, including all supporting infrastructure works, in accordance with the approved budget and schedule. The Area Manager —Converters & Transition Compounds will interface with others as required to fulfil the mandate. The position will direct the activities of engineering, procurement, construction, quality assurance, project services, and completions assigned to support the scope delivery, including direct reports (as required).
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
Working within the Project Delivery Team, and with accountability residing with the Project Manager — HVdc Specialties, the Area Manager —Converters &Transition Compounds is responsible for the overall delivery, including scope, cost and schedule management, of two ±350kV, 900MW, HVdc Converter Stations (one each at Muskrat Falls and Soldiers Pond)
and two cable Transition Compounds (one each at Shoal Cove and Forteau Point, at the Strait of Belle Isle) for the Project. Responsibilities span from detailed engineering phase to the final commissioning of the facility, including contract and construction management. The Area Manager —Converters &Transition Compounds will provide project execution leadership and direction throughout the development and execution phases (engineering, procurement and construction) of the installation. The incumbent will be a key member of the Project Delivery Team and will interface extensively with the Project Delivery Team's senior personnel.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Overall delivery of the HVdc Converter Stations at Muskrat Falls and Soldiers Pond and HVdc cable Transition Compounds at Forteau Point and Shoal Cove, including all supporting infrastructure works, in accordance with the approved budget and schedule.
- Ensure all relevant team members have a clear understanding of their roles, deliverables and authority and are engaged and executing their tasks as required. Ensuring adequate resources are assigned to ensure deliverables are produced in accordance with the project schedule.
- Ensure LCP management system requirements, methods /tools are being employed, are effective and opportunities for improvement are identified and implemented.
Work with Project Controls to ensure effective cost and schedule control for the work, including regular schedule and cost trend reviews. Monitor project deliverables and milestones and ensure compliance with project schedule.
- Organize and lead meetings related to delivery of package(s), working to resolve issues that could impact overall delivery.
- Facilitate problem resolution and have responsibility to ensure closure.
- Highlight and monitor critical items in cooperation with other team members.
- Ensure opportunities for improvement (safety, environment, and quality) are items of focus and are championed.
- Identification of cost and schedule drivers and implementation of associated optimization opportunities.
- Identification of changes and subsequent management of approved changes, in accordance with Project protocols.
- Identification of delivery risks and development/implementation of associated risk management plans.
- Ensure all package interfaces are clearly identified and scheduled with responsibility allocated.
- Establish and maintain communications and relations with key interface points both internal to the Project and with external stakeholders (e.g. NLH, CF(L)Co., contractors, suppliers, etc.) so as to ensure all associated interfaces are identified and managed.
- Work closely with Project Services / Planner(s), Engineering Manager(s), Ready for Operations team, Construction and Completions Managers, Quality, Health &Safety, Environment, and other functional expertise during the design, procurement, construction and commissioning phases of the Project.
- Ensure engineering deliverables meet all requirements required to be able to place purchase orders, award contracts and commence the construction works in accordance with Project schedules.
- Work with Contract Administrator to ensure obligations of both Company and Contractor are adhered to, including progress certification and invoice approval.
- Ensure claims avoidance and management strategy is implemented for the scope.
- Liaise with LCP and Contractor Interface coordinators to ensure interfaces are progressed in a timely manner.
- Work with functional managers for Engineering, Quality, Health &Safety, Environment, and Project Controls, as well as with Site personnel, develop and implement surveillance plans for supplier /contractor's engineering, procurement, fabrication, construction, and completions activities using a criticality risk-based approach. Also, to identify and secure all necessary field engineering, inspection and support personnel, including definition of roles and responsibilities.
- Regularly visit critical item work locations for surveillance of suppliers /sub-suppliers and their third-party inspectors.
- Lead the review and acceptance of contractor and supplier project execution plans, management plans for health, safety, environment, quality, schedule, construction, etc., detailed design documentation, and other submittals.
- Work with the suppliers /contractors to ensure that the installed facilities:
o meet all Design, Safety, Quality, Schedule, Construction and Regulatory Requirements
o meet Project Goals for Safety, Operability, Reliability and Environmental Performance
- Ensure Owner supplied material and on-site services for contractor are available as required.
Graduation from a recognized university with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
• 15 to 20 years successful experience in delivery of major EPC packages for large projects, in technical as well as project management and construction roles, with a focus on electric utility systems.
• Extensive knowledge, including design, construction and completions, in power generation and high voltage electrical networks, and/or overall electric utility systems and integration.
• Demonstrated leadership skills in developing and leading diverse work teams.
• Strong understanding of project management processes and management systems.
• Prior experience interfacing with and managing delivery of large scopes in a large project execution environment.
• Contract formulation and administration experience, including negotiation and close-out.
• Strong background with resolution of technical /management issues during project planning and execution phases.
• Proven ability in management of stakeholders and associated interfaces.
• On-site construction supervision experience considered an asset.
Area Manager - Converters & Transitions Compounds
Page not found
The job you tried to open was not found.