DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
Under the authority of the Project Controls Manager, the Deputy Project Controls Manager will perform a supporting role to assist in the fulfilment of client's overall cost and schedule delivery targets and objectives. The incumbent will assist the Project Controls Manager in the overall leadership of the Planning, Scheduling, Cost Control, Management of Change, Estimating, and Risk Management teams operating in St. John's and on all Work Sites. In fulfilling this mandate, the incumbent is expected to work closely with the Project Controls Manager, and liaise closely with the execution teams and functional managers to facilitate development, and ensure their full awareness of project controls processes and requirements.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
Reporting directly to the Project Controls Manager, the incumbent is expected to interact extensively with Project Management, site based project controls teams, Project and Area Managers, Area Construction Managers, and the functional managers for Procurement and Accounting. The incumbent is expected to fulfil their role with minimal supervision and direction.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
As a member of the Project Management Team, the Deputy Project Controls Manager is a key support resource to the Project Controls Manager in providing overall leadership and providing project controls services for the project. The incumbent will support the Project Controls Manager in establishing appropriate organizations, processes and systems in the areas of cost management, schedule management, change management, risk management, and project reporting. The Deputy Project Controls Manager wilt have specific responsibilities for the implementation of the Project Risk Management Plan including processes, procedures and systems.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and job functions of the Deputy Project Controls Manager shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Support an effective Project Controls organization that is able to effectively support the delivery of the project.
• Proactive support of a safety culture where "Nobody Gets Hurt."
• Ensuring project controls procedures are developed and in place at each Work Site. Ensure Project Controls staff understand and implement these procedures at each Work Site.
• Supporting the various Work Site teams and providing them with functional direction and support for Planning, Scheduling, Cost Control, Estimating, Risk Management and Change Management activities.
• Provide executive level participation, as required, with Contractors and Suppliers, to address issues of importance and solve pending problems relating to Project Controls.
• Liaising with Project, Area and Area Construction Managers to ensure proper Project Controls organizations are in place and that Cost and Schedule controls have been implemented.
• Assist in management of project controls personnel covering Planning, Scheduling, Cost Control, Estimating and Change Management and ensure the organizations for these groups are sufficiently staffed and are operating within terms of approved procedures and guidelines.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of status reporting of the overall schedule, budget and cost forecast.
• Monitors implementation of all Project Control processes and procedures to ensure reporting integrity.
• Assist in monitoring and supporting each Project Work Site's adherence to Project Control processes.
• Assist in maintaining the Project Execution Plan, Project Controls Management Plan, Project Controls Procedures, Contract Coordination Procedures and other important documents.
• Provide assistance with the review and approval of Contractor's Project Control procedures and compliance with the Contract Coordination Procedures. Ensure that all approved Contractor procedures are implemented and verified on a regular basis.
• Coordinate the update, monitor, control and reporting of theRisk Register (strategic and tactical).
Bachelor of Engineering or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
• Extensive background (15+ years) on large engineering and construction projects with a focus on heavy civil and industrial works.
• Minimum of ten (10) years in Project Controls positions on large construction projects. Site experience an asset.
• Demonstrated leadership skills in developing and leading diverse work teams.
~ Experience in the application project management processes and systems relating to cost, schedule, risk, and change management.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
• Experience with multiple forms of contracting including EPC, and compensation terms including unit rate, lump sum and reimbursable.
• Ability to train and mentor personnel in the application of project control processes and systems.
• Adaptability to perform in fast paced and dynamic work environment.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
• Be an active member in a highly dynamic team environment that has tight deadlines, high pressure and visibility, requiring accuracy, initiative and ability to multi-task.
• Possess strong people skills, with the ability to interact, motivate and lead team members.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to plan work well, and to be well-organized.
• Be prepared to accept for responsibility and decision making authority.
• Demonstrate a willingness to adhere to Client's vision and values.
• Must be willing to travel to Work Sites when required to do so. Must be able to work effectively as a key member of the Owners team within amulti-functional team environment (matrix style organization structure).
• Solution oriented.
• Must be able to work in a collaborative and supportive manner with stakeholders.
Deputy Project Controls Manager
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY: